Friday, February 18, 2005

Sledge speaks

To the unlinkable (for me) website.

Add this quotation:

"If Frank wants me to play one position or come off the bench, I'm just going to play my game. I'm going to be me. Whatever works out, works out," Sledge said. "Everybody would like to be in the starting lineup. Frank is going to put the best nine guys out there."


To this quotation:

"I had family and friends contact me, and they said they heard that my name was caught up in trade rumors," Sledge said. "It's not a bad thing.
It's actually a good thing. If a team wants to trade for me, that the business
of the game. I don't know if I'll be here one year or 10 years. Rumors are just rumors. Until it happens, nothing is true."


Maybe I'm reading too much into two (seemingly) non-sequential quotes, but I think Sledge has seen the dry erase board and is keeping one eye on the out-of-town flights (especially since the rumors about him have resurfaced, albeit vaguely). [LATE EDIT: If you cannot link to the MLB.com article, you cannot see the context of the second quote; if memory serves, Sledge was referring to rumors linking him to a Sosa trade, not to current rumors.]

[Related note: Chris, one of the guys to unearth that which makes Wayne Knight uneasy, also cites the dry erase board today, from the perspective of Robinson's state of mind.]

At any rate, taken totally from his quotes and the characterizations of him by writers close to the team, Sledge seems like a farily quiet, team-oriented guy. I don't think he'll start a palace revolt if he's on the bench and not traded.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?