Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Incorporated by reference

You want answers? You want the truth? Chris can handle it. Also, Exhibit No. 3,365 in why fans don't manage

---Since about 9:30 last evening, Capitol Punishment Chris has been bloggin' like a mutha on speed. Considering his outlook on the Great Game appears to be relatively sympatico with mine, I'll just say, regarding today's spring training-related items, go see Chris. (And District of Baseball and Nationals Pastime and William World News and Distinguished Senators and . . . ah, just check out all the blog links on the right. In fact, there are a couple that aren't even on there that should be. Ah, forget it . . .)

---Except I will reserve one item for comment; it's from Bill Ladson's MLB.com mailbag* and should be classified under "Dear God, no!"

Colin M. in I'll-Be-Quirky asks: "I know about the Nationals' leadoff issue, and I think I have a solution. Why not put Cristian Guzman at the top of the order?"

Ladson, furiously wiping his spit-take Coca-Cola from his keyboard, replies: "[That] may happen, but Guzman must improve his on-base percentage, which is .303 for his career. Jose Cardenal, a special advisor to the GM, will teach Guzman -- in addition to Endy Chavez -- how to be a good leadoff hitter during Spring Training."

Uh . . .

[Pause rant: Well, at least they picked a pretty good instructor. In a much less offensive era, Cardenal had a four-year (1972-75)OBP run of .356, .375, .359, and .397. In fact, even in 1976, Cardenal's last season as a regular, his .339 OBP beat the league-average by a good margin. Continue rant.]

. . . I do not intend in any way to advocate a "chilling effect" on Nats' fans expressing their opinions on roster and lineup construction and stuff like that. But if the guy "know[s] about the Nationals' leadoff issue," why in the name of Omar Moreno does the guy want to replace one problem WITH EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM???

The choice, as I see it, is whether F-Robby wants to go with a guy (Chavez) who looks like a "traditional leadoff hitter" or a guy (Wilkerson) who really doesn't look like one but at least performs its primary function (getting on base). Guzman doesn't factor into the equation at all.

---Rich Lederer, whose blog for a long while was known as "The Baseball Beat," has now started a group blog called The Baseball Analysts. That's interesting in itself, I guess, but the section near the bottom left of the main page entitled "Web Gems" is what caught my attention.

"Web Gems" links to a lot of neat sabermetric-related stuff, particularly The Baseball Archive's extraction of the Bill James primer and David Grabiner's "Sabermetric Manifesto" from the Usenet newsgroup rec.sport.baseball, written a decade or more ago.

These two items in particular provide interesting reading if you have any inclination in knowing more about baseball analysis (read: stats geek stuff); even accounting for their vintage, most of their points are still tremendously relevant.

* I always mess up the URLs of MLB.com articles. Here it is: http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050221&content_id=947088&vkey=news_was&fext=.jsp&c_id=was

Comments:
Jesus, I didn't realize how much I had actually written until you caused me to look back. I really need a hobby.

I was actually going to write the exact same thing about the mailbag question, but I figured you'd be all over it. Thanks for not letting me down!

Actually, what I liked best about it was the confidence Ladson shows:
Cardenal WILL teach him.

I guess there's no doubt about the man who taught Derek Jeter everything he knows!

Hey Bill, dontcha think that if it was easy to teach someone how to be a good leadoff hitter that there'd be more than 5 good leadoff hitters in the league?
 
I know the feeling, Chris. I didn't realize how long my Loiaza entry was on Sunday until you said "more than two cents." The freakin' thing was like a dollar. (Gleeman-length, I know. Just lacking the insight and Twins-obsession.)

Anyway, glad I met your expectations on the mailbag question. It's one of my favorite Nats-related features. Sometimes, I say lay off the reader-correspondents; sometimes, I think they haven't even been housebroken. ;-)
 
BTW---I had a line prepared for the Ladson "Cardenal WILL teach him" line, but I just plain forgot it.
 
Best prices, early-bird specials, top betting sites, free picks and much more information about baseball betting pick can be found daily right here! Always look for blogs like this one, Incorporated by reference, a truly professional place to post revelant information. We wish to thank Blogger personally and we wish you all the success. Look for future information about baseball betting pick, bonus offers, promotions, contests, and more in the upcoming season!
 
The nations top sports site would like to give you a FREE TRIAL of over 120 of the nation top handicappers with no obligation. Just click on this topic, for more information and please always refer to this blog for all your sports information and relevant posts. We wish to thank Blogger for creating a place for all enthsiasts to visit while searching for topics like . Remember to vist this blog daily - Incorporated by reference!
 
Hi, As part of some work I'm doing for a client, I need to talk to people who try to make friends on the internet and who often search the web for related information. The research is mostly based around keyword ('toy hobby' for example) selection. I've contacted people using toy hobby but I need to contact more. Can you suggest where else to look?
TIA
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?