Monday, February 07, 2005

The Big Empty

Time to look into XM Satellite Radio for this Richmonder

Remember a few hours ago when I speculated that Richmond's WRNL might be an affiliate in a burgeoning Nats' radio network? Well, I was half-right.

The "big announcement" did concern baseball. But, instead of the Nats, we get . . . the ATLANTA BRAVES!!!!!

Grrrr. Hulk angry. Hulk smash things.

Shouldn't have gotten my hopes up. WRNL used to carry the O's, and at least I'm a fan of the O's. The Braves, on the other hand---well, they're 1) a direct rival of the Nats and 2) MLB's generic version of Ambient.

So it's all-Braves-radio in Richmond. (The Triple-A affiliate is on Richmond's other sports talker, an ESPN Radio affiliate.) In fact, until now, the A-Braves wouldn't enter the Richmond market, so that it would not directly compete with its farm team (which it owns). As a consequence, this was an O's market in terms of radio and TV.

Hey, thanks a bunch, Peter Angelos, for dragging out the "negotiations." Thanks much, Tony Tavares, for diggin' for boogers all this time. Confound you, Bob DuPuy, for even existing.

Say, anybody subscribe to/know much about XM Satellite Radio, e.g.:

1. How does it work?
2. Can you pick it up on the 22nd floor of a downtown office building?

Thanks in advance.

Comments:
This fellow Richmonder was pretty disappointed at the announcement, although I can't imagine the Nats not getting into the Richmond market; it's too big.

There are a lot of ways to do XM; if you're looking for something to bring into the office I'd say that the boom box version would be the best.

I have it in my car via the "Roady" a unit about the size of a deck of cards that attaches to the dash. It's transferrable inside with a home kit that I have but haven't used yet. I might have to hook it up, though.

Rich Tandler
CapitolDugout.com
 
I have the Roadie as well, and it works quite well in my car and the home unit.

Something else you might want to look into is a subscription to MLB.tv. If you have a broadband connection, it looks quite good. Using a Comcast cable modem and a 4 or 5 year old computer I find the games to be slightly grainy, but very smooth, certainly not choppy. The drawback to MLB.tv is that you have no control over which team's announcers you listen to.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?